The Essential 10-Question Logo Design Questionnaire
🤔, 💭, 🎨, 📝, 📈, 🐾, 🌈, 🎉, 💼, 💪
Designing a logo is not just about creating a pretty image. It’s about understanding the brand and target audience and creating a design that resonates with them. That’s where a logo design questionnaire comes in handy. It is a crucial step that must be taken after signing the logo design contract and well before starting the logo creation process.
These questions are divided into three sections, which will help the designer get a solid understanding of your brand and create a design you will love.
Brand Values and Attributes
This section focuses on the brand values and attributes to gain a valuable sense of how to represent the brand as a whole. Understanding what the company stands for will help you and the designer visualize an image that best represents it.
- What does your company do, and what best represents the company?
It’s essential to know what the business is all about. Does the business focus on shipping services, coaching services, baby products, or herbal remedies?
Understanding what the company stands for will help the you visualize an image that best represents it. Here is a list of the Google Business Listing categories for 2023, it is a good idea to keep them in mind when designing the log and even picking the name so get familiar with then right away.
- Who are your competitors?
Researching how these competitors are presenting their brand will help build on an image even further. However, we always make sure to set our clients apart.
- Who is your target audience?
Identifying the client’s target audience will help eliminate certain logo elements and focus on effective design choices that the client loves.
- Pick characteristics that best define your brand. How does your brand’s image falls between these opposing characteristics:
This section involves a bit of imagination, which can be a lot of fun and can also lead to increased productivity for both the client and designer.
- How would you describe your brand to a friend?
This question will encourage more relaxed and genuine answers, which will be amazing material for the creative process.
- What animal would best represent your brand? This is called a “mascot” in the logo world.
Sometimes animals make the best logo images. By including the spirit animal in the logo questionnaire, you’ll open up new, creative possibilities.
Now that you have a deeper understanding of the brand, it’s time to narrow down visual preferences.
- What type of logo do you prefer?
Logos can be wordmarks, lettermarks, pictorial marks- like mascot logos, abstract marks, or combination marks- like badges. Knowing the logo style preference will help you narrow down your design choices.
- Which logos resonate with you?
Pick out a few examples of logos you like. These can be logos from any industry. Which three resonate with you, then take note of common elements in the logos they chose.
- Which colors best suit the brand?
Remember, colors convey a psychological impact on people. Look at a list of colors and feel their psychological effects, which colors best suit the brand? Think ahead to where you might expand like if you would want to see it on products for instance.
- Which font best fits the brand? Fonts are strongly associated with a specific emotion or idea, which makes choosing the right font extremely important. Knowing your font preference will help you narrow down your font choices, so it’s best to check out a free font site, that lets you put your company name in then see what it looks like in different fonts. You should make sure your font is licensed for the medium you want to print it and the format you will be using it. Sometimes printers and embroiderers are finicky about the font licensing. If you are ever going to have it embroidered then keep in mind not to use too thin of lines, too small of font or icon, it’s best to outline things each color could mean a change in thread colors which could increase costs.
Logo Questionnaire Takeaway
The logo questionnaire is the backbone of the design process and outcome. By asking these golden questions, the project will not only be successful but enjoyable.
So, the next time you’re embarking on a logo design project, make sure you take a logo questionnaire. This will help you and the designer create a visual representation that not only resonates with the brand values but also their target audience.
- Why is a logo design questionnaire important? Answer: A logo design questionnaire is important because it helps you understand your client’s needs and expectations, and it provides you with a clear direction for creating a logo that represents their brand.
- When should you send a logo design questionnaire? Answer: You should send a logo design questionnaire right after signing the logo design contract, and before starting the logo creation process.
- What are the three sections of the ultimate 10-question logo design questionnaire? Answer: The three sections are brand values and brand attributes, abstract values, and design.
- What questions should be included in the brand values and brand attributes section? Answer: Questions about the company’s focus, competitors, target audience, and brand characteristics should be included in this section.
- What questions should be included in the abstract values section? Answer: Questions about how the brand would be described to a friend and what animal would best represent the brand should be included in this section.
- What questions should be included in the design section? Answer: Questions about which logos resonate with the client, which colors best suit the brand, and which font best fits the brand should be included in this section.
- Why is it important to ask the client about their competitors? Answer: Asking about competitors helps you understand how the client’s brand stands out in the market, and it can give you inspiration for creating a unique logo.
- Why is it important to know the target audience? Answer: Knowing the target audience helps you design a logo that appeals to their preferences and effectively communicates the brand’s message.
- Why is it important to consider colors and fonts? Answer: Colors and fonts have a psychological impact on people, and they can influence how the brand is perceived. Choosing the right colors and fonts is crucial for creating an effective logo.
- What is the main takeaway from the ultimate 10-question logo design questionnaire? Answer: The main takeaway is that the questionnaire is a crucial step in the logo design process, and by asking these questions, you can ensure a successful and enjoyable project that will help you win client admiration.
#graphicdesignquestionnaire #designbrief #clientquestionnaire #designrequirements #designpreferences #designstyle #designinspiration #brandidentity #targetaudience #creativebrief #graphicdesign #designprocess #designtips #designthinking #digitaldesign #branding #logodesign #marketing #smallbusiness